My Adventures with Nutrient-Packed Cooking

A good friend of mine recommended I read one of her books. It is a Dr. Sears book called 'Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood'. It was a great book, I learned a ton, and it has converted me (mentally... but physically it is a slow process...). Dr. Sears teaches about the food we eat and how it effects our bodies down to the molecular level in a way that is easy to understand! Fascinating. (Honestly no wonder we have so much cancer, heart disease, etc... I really recommend the book). I love learning about that stuff anyway, important, so, I'm trying to live it, starting by gettin' my cookin' skills on...

Now this is a pretty little dish eh? Yes, orange chicken with oranges, carrots, celery, yams and rosemarry... looks better than it tasted... not enough taste if ya know what I mean... and not too great as leftovers. But, pretty...


This is my favorite lunch/dinner/snack/whatever. My wheat cheese crisp with avacado and tomatoes. Put a little pepper and salsa on top and wow, as you can see I couldn't refrain from taking a bite before the picture. (Ok, ok, after a few years I've acquired some different tastes, but this ones seriously good!)

My salmon stir fry... great color huh! Again, packed full of cancer-fighting, body-building phytonutrients and omega 3's, but not a great leftover and... the green beans were too crunchy... Craig doused his with soy sauce. Still, I was proud, I could feel it helping my body, good gut feeling ya know? Ok, I still am working on great flavor going hand in hand with great nutrition... ummm


did not work with this one... oh boy. Yes. That is what the recipe calls a pineapple upsidown cake... with kale and purple cabbage mixed in for good measure... it was a 'healthy cake' ok?! No, not a favorite. Craig laughed, I made him take a bite, he laughed some more, then I gave a chunk to my sweet brother Chase to take home (bachelors will eat almost anything.. HAha!) Honestly it was good the first day, if you avoided the pineapple slices and the burnt parts, and if you topped it with cool whip, which I found out has high fructose corn syrup (sad face), so, needless to say, won't be buying that anymore. SO, Needless to say (again), I am still very much in the learning phase of healthy-TASTEY cooking... wish me luck.

At least there's something I do know how to make... ONE CUTE KID!!!! HAha! (for good measure)


Posted by Picasa

Comments

Jaron & Abby said…
That is so funny! Yeah before I read your post I thought the orange one on top looked so good. Hard to eat healthy and it to taste good.
Jen said…
Yummy!!! Do you want to come cook at my house?

Scott would LOVE the salmon stir-fry.
Yes Jordan, you did it, you've got me thinking about
eating healthy all of the time now! I have not completely changed my ways yet, I just can't let your
ice cream go bad in my freezer!
Anonymous said…
Jordyn, I LOVE the song on your blog. It's so perfect ;) I looked at all the pictures you posted of all that delicious food. Did you make all that!? That's really amazing! It all looks so...pretty...you are officially the perfect mom. Really, you are such a good mom. You're cheerful, patient, a good cook...I can't believe we are where we are, can you? Wow. Just yesterday we were at Franklin and now we're here. I'm so glad you're my best friend. I am so lucky to have you! YOu are such a good example to me. I am really lucky we met :) I know I need to write you. I try to avoid the computer, b/c it's like tv for me. I think I'll just sit down for 5 min and b/4 I know it, 3 hours have gone by! But I will write you today. I love you and miss you. Keep up the good work, Super Mom ;)
Anonymous said…
PS: Flavor is hard to come by here in Ukraine and I've found that tomatoe sauce (the real stuff) is amazingly helpful, and also garlic and onions are wonderful. They add a salty flavor w/out actually adding any salt. And I read that YOU made all these dishes! They look like they were taken straight out of a cook-book :)

Popular Posts