The HAPPY EVERYTHING month

So, one of my early rules that had to be broken... don't get married three days before your birthday... or anywhere near your birthday! It was a cruel irony. My birthday was always around spring break, and when do most students have time to get married in the spring? Exactly. So far, it has been a life-long sacrifice... wait, don't get me wrong, LOVE being married, but when the hubby likes to lump celebrations together, or doesn't really get the whole celebrating tradition, it can be tough.

Let's start with the anniversary... shall we...

March 10th, I wake up. Excited. I get Craig's card together while Craig is getting ready for work. As he races out the door and kisses me goodbye I say, "I'm excited to give you your surprise when you come home!" Immediately, a look of panic crosses his face, or was it more like frantic thought? Anyway, I knew he needed the little reminder. We have been married for four years now, I mean, I know he's got some weak points under all those amazing strengths, knowing how to surprise and celebrate is one of them...

Meanwhile, I clean the house and get EedyBelle up and going and fed. I hung his present and card from his key hook cause I knew he'd go there first. I had gotten him a floppy rimmed/Giligan-like hat to replace his FAVorite one that he lost on his canoe trip. Knew he'd love it. I was honestly bracing myself though... would he really get me something I would like that wouldn't subconsciously be for him? Would he really.... ok Jordyn, don't get your hopes up, don't dash them either... just be pleasantly surprised.

He gets home, throws the keys on the counter and sits down at the table. "Hey babe aren't you going to put your keys on the hook?" What a naggy wife thing to say right? He doesn't get it. Finally I just point to it and he sees the gift. "Oh!" He opens it, he LOVES it, just like I knew he would. We hug.
My turn. He hands me his card, which by the way, I LOVE his cards. He does have the card thing down magnificently. He almost always brings me to tears. What more could a wife ask for right? I must be a somewhat ungrateful wife, because after the beautiful card, he sheepishly hands me a Walgreens grocery bag... "oh man, just, just open it and smile." I pull out a pink T-shirt that says something about discus 1986 or something... hmmm, ok. I put it on for him and, oh my gosh, I can hardly breathe, my circulation is being cut off, this thing is sucking the life out of me! And what does he say? "I LOVE IT! Don't you love it Jordy?"
"Oh honey, thanks, but... I would never wear this. Its waaay too tight."
"But I like it! You should wear it!"
"Craig the whole idea of gift-giving is to give the receiver something THEY would like, not you!"
So, at least it wasn't a men's medium from an airport store like his mom's classic story about what Craig's dad got her. So far, that does take the cake. :)
Then we drove to Vegas at 6:00pm and ate our Anniversary dinner at Taco Bell. Happy Anniversary.
We got to Vegas, stayed in a $25 per night room at the Stratosphere... not the greatest room, but hey, we were on a trip at least! Edyn did good the whole time and was so fun. We had a great time taking pictures and visiting the amazing resorts and hotels and eating with coupons. We really had a blast together. Made up for the anniversary day dud.
My birthday landed on Friday the 13th. At 2am on Fri. morning Craig said happy birthday and we went to bed. We got up and frantically tried to pack in 1/2hr. cause we slept in late and check out was at 11am! It was almost 1pm and we were on the road again, starving. We stopped at IHOP cause I could not not have breakfast on my birthday! :) I was so excited, I am 25 with my wonderful hubby and sweet baby, and I knew the day would just get better and better... ummm... or so I thought.
So, we didn't tell the IHOP people it was my birthday, cause Craig didn't think we should. (I am all about whatever you can get for free on your birthday, plus who doesn't like to celebrate!? It's ONE day a year!) Then, we drove. Subway was lunch. I told the guy behind the counter I was buying two cookies cause it's my birthday and he said Happy Birthday and gave me a cookie on the house! That was a total savings of 50cents or so right? Celebrate! Then, as the driving dragged on, I got sad. "Craig, you haven't even said Happy Birthday to me."
"I told you happy birthday last night."
"Wow, at 2am!? C'mon Craig!"
"Ok, sorry, happy birthday."
Silence.
"I do have a card for you."
"Really? Can I read it?"
"I haven't written in it yet..."
"oh"
More silence...
"You know this Vegas trip was your Anniversary AND birthday gift right?" Yes, of course, lumped together once again, yet he got a cool anniversary gift from me. Seriously? No little... nothing?
The silence dragged on.
"I wanted to take you out just the two of us tonight for your birthday, but we got a late start, I don't think we will be able to." It was 8pm, nope, we weren't making it anywhere.
The greatest thing about my birthday? All the wonderful phone calls and messages from all you wonderful people. Thank you, thank you. It really, really made my day.
We drove into Phoenix at 9:30pm and Craig felt bad. He took me to the Cracker Barrel, cause I still feel like I'm on a trip when we go there. :) We were the only ones there. Craig secretly told them it was my birthday and they sang to me and gave us an apple cobbler. Craig danced around the empty room to a funny country song with Edyn on his shoulders while I sat there, feeling such a rush of gratitude and wanting to forever burn that moment into my memory. There it was, right in front of me, the best present I could ever hope for. The most wonderful, loving husband and daddy in the world with one of the sweetest and most darling babies ever born, dancing for me just to make me laugh, and because he genuinely enjoys playing with his little girl. Right then, in that moment, I was reminded what this life is all about.
Once I was able to see through my selfish desires I was able to gaze upon one of the greatest gifts ever given and probably the gift most taken for granted, real, true, unashamed love.

THE STRIP

Craig's favorite part of Anthropology. Just a fun store to look around in!


Cutest baby ever. :) (we think)

The Bellagio water show, best free show in Vegas - hands down! (The Treasure Island pirate show is free too... but oh man, that is one to MISS!)

EedyBelle loved all the action and lights. We love this little girl.

We had so much fun eating at the Rainforest Cafe! We had a coupon for a free appetizer!



The MGM Grand was A-mazing.




We did see the Hoover Dam for my Birthday!

(And congrats to you if you seriously read this mini novella!) Ha!

Comments

Stephanie said…
looks like you guys had a blast! happy anniversary!
Shawn and Tasha said…
Beautifully written Jordyn!:) We know all about the birthday/anniversary thing. Both of our birthdays are 3 days from either our anniversary or Valentine's Day. And now we're adding a baby to the September mix too. Ha!:) Looks like you guys had a blast!! Eedy baby is such a little doll!
Kara Jones said…
Craig is lucky he's married to you. I'd be pissed at the lumped effort there.
Edyn is such a doll.
And hey...it's no anniversary celebration if the kid or kids r there... that's not how the honeymoon was celebrated. He owes you next year, no matter how wonderful the "card" was. There's my 2 cents.
Jordyn Perkins said…
Haha! Kara you crack me up and you're totally right! :)
Diana said…
Jordyn,
Your blog makes me giggle. You have a great way of putting things. You have the cutest family and we think you are the best neighbors. Isn't it funny that the best stuff in life isn't really stuff?

p.s.-- Your post about "punking" Craig veggie-style was laugh-out-loud hilarious!
Anonymous said…
Holy cow! I need to take notes and learn to "write" on my blog ;) I love your pictures of Edyn! She's so cute. Love you and miss you~

Popular Posts