Dancin' in September
Do you remember... when it was shy (?) September... love was chasin' (something something lala) remember... how we danced all the clouds away..... bah de dah surely you remember, bah de dah, DANCIN' in SEPTEMBER, bah de dah, never was a cloudy day.... bah do do bah doo bah do do bah doo..... One of my all time favorite songs. Thank you Earth Wind and Fi-ya!!! (Fire, but, ya know, my emphasis....) That seriously sums up our September. Dancing it away... it flew away, like some sort of secret ops, non-detectable jet... point is it went by way too fast. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Zach, Uncle Bill, Kendra, Anne, Whitney, Aunt Sonya, Annie, Toby (Craig's favorite dead dog that he mixes up his sister's birthday with), Dan, Uncle Frank, Edyn, Craig, Brayde, Tasha, Evelyn, Brielle, Bryan, and Garrett.... whew, hope I didn't forget anyone.
How I love this girl. I can't believe it's been a whole year since she came into our lives. Wide eyed, she gave two little cries and then just looked. Looked and examined everything as if to say, "Wow, I'm here, I made it into mortality. This is what Heavenly Father was preparing me for." She was so, so alert, so beautiful, and since each day has been a miracle and a joy. I have never felt more fulfilled, never felt such complete joy than the day I became a wife, then a mother. I now understand why only true service and sacrifice can bring the ultimate joy.
My first ever attempt at a creative cake! I was secretly sure I was going to fail. I am pretty proud of myself I guess... turned out way better than I thought it would.
The STORY BEHIND THE CAKE ~ I swore that I would stay away from butterflies (baby accessories etc..) when I was prego with Flower (Edyn in utero), they were just... over done. Then my mom found the cutest butterfly fabric to make her crib bedding out of... had to say yes (it was very hard to find really cute cordinating fabric for a crib mind you!). It really was adorable. At the hospital when Edyn was a day old they took her to the nursrey for her first photo shoot and the instant they set this little butterfly on her shoulder, she smiled, a full on, toothless grin.
Then when Edyn was a few months old our neighbor saw us pruning the peach tree and stopped to say hi. She is full Cherokee Indian and told me she saw people's 'spirit guides' and asked if she could share what Edyn's spirit guide was because she was so touched at how strong and tender her little spirit was. She said it was .... a butterfly. At that moment a little yellow butterfly landed on Edyn's arm!!! (HAhahaha, kidding, it just felt so right.... that last part... spirit guide thing, true story. ;) So, in honor of the past year I had to make a butterfly cake. A big thanks to tips from my awesome sister-in-laws and to my incredibly delectibly fun-loving 'lil sis Haley who came over to help!
The STORY BEHIND THE CAKE ~ I swore that I would stay away from butterflies (baby accessories etc..) when I was prego with Flower (Edyn in utero), they were just... over done. Then my mom found the cutest butterfly fabric to make her crib bedding out of... had to say yes (it was very hard to find really cute cordinating fabric for a crib mind you!). It really was adorable. At the hospital when Edyn was a day old they took her to the nursrey for her first photo shoot and the instant they set this little butterfly on her shoulder, she smiled, a full on, toothless grin.
Tribute to Edyn's Butterfly Spirit Guide -- in edible formation.
eh, why not throw in some cupcakes... (note: incredible home-made chocolate frosting recipe from my beloved Great Grandma Lillian Adams Grimshaw... thanks to her love of all things sugar.
Edyn and her buddy Gibson... and balloon.
Partay Time!!!
A big thanks to cousin Kyle for lending his breath...
The Party Scene
"Happy Birthday to Edyn, Happy Birthday to You"
Pround parent moment... 'wow honey, we made it this far'... big moment when you realize you CAN keep a kid alive and mostly happy for a whole year... maybe teach 'em a thing or two... from this point on the possibilities are endless! Haha!
Proud Nana and Papa with their EedyBelle
Is that bloody flesh!? Oh, sorry, strawberry... (DISCLAIMER: no animals were harmed in the making of this cake.)
Hmmm, first taste of frosting...
Little Miss Priss didn't want to get her hands dirty. :)
So Nana tried to shove her face into it... silly Nana.
Gibson looks a little concerned about eating the butterfly.
So does Edyn. This is seriously her first encounter with cake.
Cake no go. Trying cupcake.
Perkins men like their steak before cake. Hmmm, maybe that's what Edyn wanted.

Edyn sittin' pretty on Uncle Hunter's shoulders.

What awesome family we have! The cute Camille and Whitney even came! Oh, and Hunter came, out of his room... haha ;).

A baby doll for my baby doll. Nana knows all little girls need their baby dolls.
And from Mommy and Daddy to EedyBelle, a tutu, for the cutest little dancer in the world.
Eedy and Baby
STORY BEHIND THE TUTU: I learned how to make this tutu at an enrichment activity when Edyn was about 6 months old. I had tucked the material away thinking I was going to be moving soon and would have time later. I found it days before Edyn's birthday and frantically called my friend and neighbor, Shaunell, to ask her if she would again explain to me how to make it. She promptly acquired the material from me and said she wanted to make it and not to worry she would have it back to me in time. She lovingly refused my febal attempts to try to stop her and went to work adding cute little frills and flowers and making the cutest matching flower headband. This tutu is the cutest tutu I have honestly ever seen. I was so, so touched by her loving example and sisterly service to me! She is the kind of person that I am striving to someday be. She willingly and lovingly goes the extra mile for so many people without a second thought. I don't think she really knows the great impact she has had on me. Her kindness has made me want to be better in so many ways. Thank you Shaunell, so much.
I truly am blessed by my friends. Kara, thanks for partying with me and bringing a cute playmate for Edyn. I so LOVED that you were there! =D A kid's 1st birthday is more for the parents in a way huh. HAha!
Me and another incredible friend, Kimee. (I sure am lucky.)
Girly Bliss ~ A frilly tutu, an audience, and a rather large and noisy club thingy.

CRAIG'S 26TH BIRTHDAY
I call this the male version of the Sleeping Beauty cake... remember when the fairies tried to make her cake without magic and they had to prop it up against a broom stick to keep it from sliding and falling over? There you go. Hence the chop stick poking out of the top. It was a yellow and chocolate tiered cake, with home-made, great-grandma recipe, chocolate frosting. Oh yeah.
Craig's SUPRISE Birthday Party at Texas Roadhouse! He really was SO suprised. I found out this was only the second birthday party he's ever had in his whole life (sniff sniff, poor Cwaigy), so he wasn't expecting anything. He really loved it. Thanks to Jake M., Paul and Becca, and Sara and Jake S.!!!
I got him a green AR15 from the nice balloon man. Lock 'n load.

And with his frost-bitten ice cream scoop and a ride on the wild saddle, Craigy was a happy man. How I love my Craig.
A baby doll for my baby doll. Nana knows all little girls need their baby dolls.
CRAIG'S 26TH BIRTHDAY
I call this the male version of the Sleeping Beauty cake... remember when the fairies tried to make her cake without magic and they had to prop it up against a broom stick to keep it from sliding and falling over? There you go. Hence the chop stick poking out of the top. It was a yellow and chocolate tiered cake, with home-made, great-grandma recipe, chocolate frosting. Oh yeah.
And with his frost-bitten ice cream scoop and a ride on the wild saddle, Craigy was a happy man. How I love my Craig.
And that's why we were Dancin' in September...

Comments
Oh, Craig, do not worry about the dog and mixing up his birthday with your sister, Thomas makes fun of me for having a favorite dog and celebrating a birthday for her too!!
Jordan, the Tutu looks Awesome... so proud!!
I love to see that everything is going so well, keep up the
good work!!
Jenn
JORDYN! Will you come see me?! Mcky and I would love that, she loves little friends and I would love to see you! Just let me know when.
Happy Birthday to them both:)